Building Surveyors & Consultants

Member Login
User Name:
246E Governor Road,
Braeside 3195
Tel 95873214
Fax 95871723




A building permit is required before the commencement of most building work in Victoria. Costly fines apply for those who do not obtain a required building permit.

For information about which work requires a building permit and which does not, we recommend checking the 'building permits' page of the Victorian Building Authority (VBA), or, simply submit your building plans and we will let you know.

If building work is proposed it is wise to check whether a planning permit is required - please contact the Council's Planning Department for planning enquiries.


Step 1;
Nominate a building surveyor to be the relevant building surveyor for the project.

To appoint us to be the relevant building surveyor, please simply complete the appointment form which can be found under the 'Forms' tab to the left of this page.

In many cases the property owner nominates an agent to obtain the building permit and deal with all technical aspects of the construction (typically the builder or architect/draftsperson). Many of these practitioner offer services to apply for and obtain building permits. If you wish to nominate an agent, simply complete the agent authority section of the appointment form, and your agent will be able to apply for the building permit on your behalf.

Only 1 building surveyor may be appointed to a project, so please ensure no other appointment has been made - if you are a new owner, you may wish to check with the council to ensure the previous owner has not lodged an appointment with another building surveyor.

Note: Domestic builders undertaking building work under a major domestic building contract may not appoint a private building surveyor - this change came into effect on 01/09/2016.

Step 2;
If you wish to undertake building work which requires a building permit, then you need to apply for a building permit. Please complete an application for a building permit (form available in the 'forms' tab) and forward it with a copies of relevant documentation (explained further in) to our office at 246E Governor Road, Braeside, VIC  3195 or

Step 3;
Once an application is lodged with a building surveyor, an assessment is undertaken on the file to determine compliance or otherwise. Once compliance is determined, a building permit will be issued. If compliance is not determined, a request for further information will be sent to the applicant advising of the required information to be provided.

The application for a building permit form contains a handy guide of general documentation required for building permit applications, however for a more in-depth overview of potential documentation and legislative requirements, and, tips on speeding up the building permit application process, please see the following information;

Building Permit Application Requirements

If you want to speed up the building application process, the submission of a full application and relevant documentation results in a faster turn-around time for assessments and the building permit. Make sure you submit documentation in full and that it is legible.

If this is your first building permit application, we highly recommend visiting the 'plans and permits checklist' available on Consumer Affairs Website, having a browse through the consumer section of the Victorian Building Authorities (VBA) website, and reading the practice note issued by the VBA titled 'documentation required for application for building permits' - there is a lot of information you will want to be aware about.

The regulations require that an application for a building permit to construct a building be accompanied by:

Drawings showing the allotment, and a plan at each floor level, elevations, sections, dimensions, the sizes and locations of structural members to a scale of not less than 1:100, together with any details that are necessary to show compliance, to a scale of not less than 1:20, or other approved scales. If these plans are larger than A3, an electronic copy will be required to be submitted. The following must be shown on the drawings;
a) Floor plans showing the use of each room, window, including open-able sections, and door locations, floor coverings, lighting layout, internal and external wall construction, dimensions and areas of rooms, air circulation details, etc
b) Elevations providing wall heights, floor levels, roof pitch, location of hot water services, roof lights and windows
c) Structural drawings should include connections of floor to roof tie downs, floor and wall connections, roof and wall connections, beam and column locations, timber floor or slab construction details, truss to beam or top plate
d) Window and door schedules, (for Class 1 buildings and sole occupancy units of a Class 2 or 4 parts of a building these could be included as part of the energy efficiency requirements)
e) Energy efficiency details either in accordance with the Deemed-to-Satisfy (D-t-S) provisions or House Thermal Energy Rating Scheme (HERS) Assessor’s report and stamped plans
f) Electrical lighting layout and schedule (for Class 1 buildings and sole occupancy units of a Class 2 or 4 parts of a building these could be included as part of the energy efficiency requirements)
g) Fire service plans, layout and schedule (class 2 - 9 buildings)

A statement of the use or intended use of all buildings shown on allotment plans.
The applicant must provide a statement of the proposed use or intended use of the building(s) as well as on the application form (Form 1). The statement of use or intended use may be included on the plans. The RBS requires this information so that the appropriate building classification and regulatory requirements to the building proposal are applied.

A copy of any computations or reports necessary to demonstrate that the building will, if constructed in accordance with the computations and reports, comply with the Act and the Regulations.

Reports and / or assessments may be required to be provided from:
· Geotechnical engineers (foundations and footings)
· Water supply authority (pressures and flow rates for fire services)
· Electricity supply authority (substations)
· HERS assessors (energy efficiency reports)
· Chief Fire Officers (fire safety & bushfire matters)
· BAL assessments (bushfire prone areas)
· Council (easements, planning matters)

Where a planning permit or report or consent is required, a copy of the permit and a copy of the report or consent, including the relevant endorsed plans and documents, must accompany the application for building permit.

Other documentation that may be required to show that the building work will comply with the Act and Regulations.

General references in the specifications such as: “All timber framing and bracing to comply with AS1684” or “Pool barrier to comply with AS 1926” or “in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification” or regulatory clauses are not in themselves sufficient and more detailed information should be provided. For example: Where a swimming pool and pool barrier are being proposed for, specific details such as the construction of boundary fences, notations or diagrams in relation to swing and location of gates, latch details and clear arc areas must be shown on the drawings along with the reference to AS 1926.

Building design documents should always have the name, business contact and practitioner registration details of the responsible building designer clearly shown on each document. They should clearly depict the date that the document was prepared as well as the document version and various amendment dates. In cases where the designer is not required to be a RBP or architect (for example Geotechnical, Bushfire Attack level (BAL) and domestic Energy Rating reports), evidence of the experience and competency of the person who prepared the design should always be included. Expedient amendment of documents by parties other than the designer should always be avoided; this includes the practice of handwritten changes to dimensions or design criteria without revisiting the scale of drawings, design analysis and other relevant background design criteria. Amendment of documents should always be referred back to the various relevant practitioners for amendment and be re-endorsed by planning or reporting authorities where appropriate. For example, an amendment to an architectural document can result in the need for consequential amendments to be made to structural, mechanical, electrical or even town planning documents.

You must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board in Victoria to:
perform domestic building work that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials) - carry out re-blocking, restumping or demolishing work, remove a home, or carry out any building work that requires a permit, regardless of cost -
provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $10,000 (including labour and materials).

There are different requirements for owner-builders. You'll find a kit for owner-builders under the information for consumers on the VBA's website.

Lodging the Application
Applications can be submitted as follows:

By Email:

In Person:
246E Governor Road, Braeside, VIC 3195

By Mail:
KZB Building Surveying Services
246E Governor Road, Braeside, VIC 3195


Inspections are undertaken between Monday to Friday. For all inspection bookings, please contact the office on (03) 9587 3214 with a minimum 24 hours notice, and please have the project details and contact details of the person on site ready. You are also required to fax or email your request for inspection to us for our records and authorization.

An inspection must be approved before work continues. If the work is found to be not in accordance with the approved design, or any non-compliances are identified, you will be directed to rectify the works, and you may be charged an adjustment fee. All building work must be in accordance with the approved design.

There are 4 'mandatory notification stages' set out in the regulations, which are the stages of building work were the building work must be inspected and approved before continuing with the building work. Your building permit will state which stages of work require an inspection. A building surveyor may alter the required inspections if appropriate, but generally, these inspections are as follows;

Prior to placing a footing (a footing is the part of the building which transfers the load of the building to the foundation (ground), so you may have a concrete slab as a footing, a pad footing, a strip footing, bored piers, screw piles, etc... these are all types of footings, and the inspection is required before placing the footing) the foundation (ground) must be visible to sight the soil.

Prior to pouring an in-situ concrete reinforced member (also commonly referred to as a steel/reinforcement inspection) This sentence is a mouth-full, but is quite simple to understand - 'in-situ' just means 'on-site', and a concrete reinforced member is simply any concrete member which is reinforced by another material) - For example, this may be steel within the slab, steel within strip footings, steel within retaining walls, steel within basement walls, steel within pool construction, steel within bored piers, or any other steel reinforcement member which is available for inspection on site before pouring the concrete.

Completion of the framework (framework can be split into several inspections depending on the need of the project. No cladding should be installed obstructing the inspection, and if the sub-floor is constructed of framework, any flooring, plinth boards, decking boards or the like should not be installed until the sub-floor is inspected and approved. If necessary, provisions (such as an additional inspection) must be made prior to any work continuing (if you cover the frame, the frame cannot be inspected).

Final, upon the completion of all building work - The final inspection occurs once the project is completed. All work should be finished before booking a final inspection. Some minor items such as painting may not need to be completed as of yet, but generally speaking, all building work should be finished when booking this inspection.

If we need to book additional inspections, there will be fees associated with additional inspections, so it is always recommended to ensure the builder has completed their obligations before booking an inspection, and it is recommended that the builder conduct his own inspection before booking an inspection. A builder has obligations under the DBCA to ensure work is compliant, so they should inspect the work before asking for an inspection from us.


Once the final inspection has been undertaken and approved, the project needs to be 'finalized'. This is done by either the issuing of an Occupancy Permit or a Certificate of Final Inspection (as the case requires). Retain all certificates from tradespersons working on site, and/or products purchased as we may request certification. Please ensure you contact our office to request this. A list of typical items is available upon request.


The fees are calculated based upon the scope of works, and the cost of building works. If you wish to obtain a quote, please forward the drawings showing the proposed works, and your best estimation of the cost of building works (materials and labour).

In addition to application fees are statutory levies applied by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) and a lodgement fee required to be charged by the Council. These fees must be paid alongside the application form, and before any building permit can be issued.

VBA Levy

In order to fund the Building Control and Domestic Dispute Resolution System in Victoria, the Building Act 1993 (the Act) imposes a building permit levy. The levy amount is based on the cost of the building work and must be paid by the applicant to the Relevant Building Surveyor (RBS) before a building permit can be issued. The RBS then forwards the levy to the VBA at the end of each month.

A calculator is available on the VBA's website -